If you have been with me this month than you know that I have featured the author, Darby Karchut, on my blog. If you are a long time follower, then you have probably seen all of the reviews for her books and know that I am unashamedly a huge fan of hers. While we have moved from fan and writer to friends, I am still honest about my opinions. As my friends know, you may not like what I say and you may not agree with it, but I am honest. I thought that I would end this month’s feature with a top ten list. And I will do my best to not go on and on about it.
10. She is not a one hit wonder. I have read all of her novels starting with the Griffin series and ending with Stone’s Heart, and I have yet to be disappointed with anything that I’ve read.
9. She’s got something for everyone. She has written middle grade (Finn Finnegan), young adult (Griffin), adult (Bannerman Boru under Darby Kaye) and adult contemporary-ish (Stone’s Heart).
8. She is a writer who writes good books, with characters you love! I’ve been there from the beginning, she has gotten so much better with each book.
7. She will talk to you! Go to her Facebook page, and write a message. See what happens? –Okay, to be honest, maybe she just talks to me and Kelly, and a random few other people. But she always responds to me so I’m happy. J/K I have written messages/emails to a variety of authors, all of whom are busily working and crafting their next novel, and I know that their world does not (and should not revolve around me), but it still amazes me that she actually responds. To be fair- Kevin Hearne, Jonathan Maberry and Eric Devine have also been pretty chatty when I’ve dropped them a message. But this post isn’t about them so….
6. She is actively involved in the care and literacy of young minds. She is involved in writing retreats, and book clubs for middle schoolers. (Addendum- I am not sure if she is still doing book clubs, I think she is. )
5. She is constantly working on something. Did you hear that she has another book coming out soon? Del Toro Moon is scheduled to release this summer! So it’s the perfect time to jump on the DK Fan-wagon!
4. She shares what she knows. There have been many conversations about writing, the craft, advice and encouragement from her to me.
3. Darby has a genuine heart for what she does- I follow her on Facebook, and I have talked with her about multiple aspects of writing. Not just as an author to an aspiring author. But as an author is interested in her reader and their concerns. We have shared deep thoughts on diversity in writing, on being authentic in writing characters different than ourselves.
2. Darby Karchut is a friend. I don’t remember how this blossomed into a friendship. I think I may have sent her the link to the review that I had done for her first two books, Griffin Rising and Griffin’s Fire, (something that I did and still try to do when an author/publicist has sent me a request to review a book). And she responded with more than a thank you.
1. I need more people to help me convince to write a fourth Griffin novel……
In all seriousness, Darby Karchut is an amazing author and even better person. So if you still haven’t started reading her books, now is the perfect time to start. Not sure which series to begin with? Let me know what kind of books you like and I can make a suggestion. (But, full disclosure – it will be completely biased.)